Hello again! This is the third part of my series on creating seamless patterns. I’ve been seeing them everywhere, but it’s only lately that I really appreciate the details behind it. Since then, I’ve been addicted to creating more seamless patterns using the Canva app on my iPad!
If you haven’t yet, please read the first blog posts to learn the basics. In Part 1, I explained how I use Canva to create a simple pattern using one image. In Part 2, we added a few easy steps to make a bit more complicated-looking pattern.
We’re now on the 3rd part of this series. We’re adding a few more easy steps to create more seamless patterns. I’m using the Canva app because I’m only doing this from my iPad. It’s a really great tool and I keep on trying hacks to go around some app limitations. You can learn more about Canva HERE.
In Part 1, I used the app features to cut images in half. However, I can’t do this after I rotate an image. Rotating an image gives more variations to seamless patterns. I had to find a way how to add rotations to my designs.
I use the following steps to fill in the spaces without having to cut an image in half. Let’s get started!
How To Create Seamless Patterns
1. Upload an image and use it to create your design within the area. In this tutorial, I used the a Facebook post template on Canva. I also used a single leaf image from my floral design elements. You may also add a background color at this point.
2. Download the image and paste in on a new template. Drag the image downwards to cut it in half.
3. Copy the image and drag it upwards to cut it in half and fill up the working space. Make sure both images are aligned.
4. Fill in the white spaces with more leaves. You can leave the edges behind and deal with them later.
5. Download your design and paste it on another blank page.
6. Drag the image to the left to cut it in half.
7. Copy the image and drag it to the right to fill up the page.
8. Fill up the white spaces with leaves.
9. Repeat the technique until you are happy with your design.
10. Download the image and start creating your seamless patterns!
Use more than 1 image to create more seamless patterns!
I uploaded more images from my floral elements set to create more images. You’ll be surprised by so many possibilities that you can find! If you need design elements to work with, go ahead and download my free floral images and start creating your seamless patterns!
This is so exciting! Let me know what you’ve created. For more inspiration check out my favorite series on seamless patterns from deniseann.com. I hope to see you in my next tutorial!